Some great advice on how to start your own business online! 
For more information please visit www.onlinejobhunter.info

Shotgun Golf in Japan

I wasn't planning to post anything on the suicide of "gonzo" journalist Hunter S. Thompson.

I never read much of his stuff, and what I did read never made me want to read more. Certainly his comments on America's reaction to 9-11 struck me as offensive and off-base.

Legend has it he also once gave a speech at Harvard Law School while completely drunk. That's a neat stunt to pull at one of the world's more uptight law schools (and that's saying a lot), but it didn't strike me as the sign of a great talent. He seemed like a drug-addled Sixties relic, with correspondingly negligible relevance today.

Well, maybe so. But he could be quite amusing.

Michelle Malkin points out Hunter's last published piece of writing, just this past Wednesday, on ESPN.com.

The title? "Shotgun golf with Bill Murray." In which he calls up the greatest comic actor of our time, the man behind the legendary Carl Spackler, at 3:30 in the morning. And asks if he'd like to fire shotguns at golf balls in Japan:

HST: "Are you ready for a powerful idea? I want to ask you about golf in Japan. I understand they're building vertical driving ranges on top of each other."

BILL (sounding strangely alert): "Yes, they have them outdoors, under roofs ..."

HST: "I've seen pictures. I thought they looked like bowling alleys stacked on top of each other."

BILL: (Laughs.)

HST: "I'm working on a profoundly goofy story here. It's wonderful. I've invented a new sport. It's called Shotgun Golf. We will rule the world with this thing."

BILL: "Mmhmm."

HST: "I've called you for some consulting advice on how to launch it. We've actually already launched it. Last spring, the Sheriff and I played a game outside in the yard here. He had my Ping Beryllium 9-iron, and I had his shotgun, and about 100 yards away, we had a linoleum green and a flag set up. He was pitching toward the green. And I was standing about 10 feet away from him, with the alley-sweeper. And my objective was to blow his ball off course, like a clay pigeon."

BILL: (Laughs.)

HST: "It didn't work at first. The birdshot I was using was too small. But double-aught buck finally worked for sure. And it was fun."

BILL: (Chuckles.)

HST: "OK, I didn't want to wake you up, but I knew you'd want to be in on the ground floor of this thing."

BILL: (Silence.)

HST: "Do you want to discuss this tomorrow?"

BILL: "Sure."

HST: "Excellent."
Hunter S. Thompson, rest in peace.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

I will miss him ... BIG HUG for Juan, Jen, Willam and Anita… who will never be able to fill the hole left in there lives by the man in spite of the myth and legend attached to his life..

I am a long time friend of Juan we went to the Aspen Community School together I have been using the blogs to try to send a message of love to him and the family but I know he is totally swamped because of the media attention at Owl farm and I need to let him know that we care for Him, Anita and the whole family in this time of tragedy while respecting his privacy

Let's see if we can get the word out ...
He was first THE MAN….
He became the myth and legend
To me he was several people.
He was my best friend’s dad although he always called his dad Hunter
(At Juan’s wedding he said to a friend about me “Look there’s another little bastard I raised that turned out OK”)
He was Hunter S. Thompson retiring shy southerner who loved guns and his freedom
And
He was the Dr. Gonzo who we all know who would be in your face and try to kill you if you attempted to try to take away his guns, drugs, freedom, privacy and the god given right to go into an explosive tirade about it.

To be such a person required him to have a unique emotional support structure. These people now need our support, love and understanding in this time of grief.

Bradley Laboe
 

Posted by Bradley Laooe

Archives

Pages

Powered by Blogger.

Followers